Pages

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Booking Through Thursday

Ooooh, a meme! I don't do a lot of memes, but I do like them :)

I’ve seen this series of questions floating around the ‘net the last few days, and thought it looked like a good one for us!

What was the last book you bought?
Um. H'm. I don't buy a lot of books, because of the library, and getting them from work. Um ... Oh! An Unfinished Woman by Lillian Hellman _ bought it off Trade Me.


Name a book you have read MORE than once
Lord of the Rings


Has a book ever fundamentally changed the way you see life? If yes, what was it?
I don't think so, no


How do you choose a book? eg. by cover design and summary, recommendations or reviews
If the story summary makes my ears prick up

Do you prefer Fiction or Non-Fiction?
I read more fiction than non-fiction, but I do read both


What’s more important in a novel - beautiful writing or a gripping plot?
I'm a sucker for beautiful writing


Most loved/memorable character (character/book)
Odd Thomas, from Dean Koontz's Odd Thomas series

Which book or books can be found on your nightstand at the moment?
Uhm ... Up Till Now by William Shatner, The World of Jeeves by P J Wodehouse, The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte


What was the last book you’ve read, and when was it?
Twas ... The Vintner's Luck. I finished it on Saturday? Sunday?


Have you ever given up on a book half way in?
Yes. Sometimes sooner than that.

15 comments:

SmilingSally said...

Like you, I rely on the synopsis when choosing a book. Stop by to see my giveaway.

Nicole (Linus's Blanket) said...

A friend of mine really loves P.G. Wodehouse but I have yet to read any.

Kathy W said...

That's pretty good if you've read Lord of the Rings more than once. LOL most people have a hard time getting through it once. I've tried a couple times to read it and don't get very far.

Chrisbookarama said...

I'm a sucker for beautiful writing too. :)

Kat said...

Oh, I'm also one of those who have a hard time with LotR. :) But I've read it and I'm good!

Anonymous said...

I too failed to get through LOTR even once. I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of Up Till Now.

Anonymous said...

'Tenant' is a great read. And I love Wodehouse!! He's a comfort read.

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

I love LotR. But the first time through it was rough.

Book Reviews

Unknown said...

Maybe I should try LotR again.

Lindsey said...

Are you enjoying The World of Jeeves? I'm thinking of getting that for my husband - we loved the Jeeves and Wooster series. :-)

Maree said...

On Wodehouse: I love it for comfort reading too. The World of Jeeves is an Omnibus of short stories, so it would definitely make a great gift for a Wodehouse fan.
On LOTR: I inhaled it when I was 14 and keep coming back; I guess I'm a strange one!
Tenant: I've yet to start it but I keep meaning to!
Up Till Now: I've nearly finished it and I really enjoyd it. :)
Thanks for the comments!

Traci said...

I said Odd Thomas as well. I just adore him.

Tina K said...

I'm waiting to get Shatner's book at the library. I'm just worried he'll annoy me as much as Kirk sometimes does.

Joanne ♦ The Book Zombie said...

Great choice with Odd, there is something irresistable about him.

Confuzzled Shannon said...

I usually pick up a book because of it cover then the back of book summary decides if I read it .