Pages

Sunday, June 8, 2008

Weekly Geeks 7


Heh ... that's Patrick and Misty, watching a spot of TV tonight. There's something ... Geekish about it don't you think? That total absorption, lying on the floor to watch so you can be as close as possible to the action?

On to the Weekly Geek: Whew! Catch Up On Reviews Week was hard work, wasn’t it? It was for me, anyway. So how about something easy this week? Let’s have Photos Week.
1. Decide what to illustrate and start taking photos: Most of you are book bloggers, so you may want to post photos of your favorite reading spot, your TBR pile(s), your local book store, your favorite librarian, your child reading, etc.
You may want to post several photos of a certain topic (like all nine of your kids reading!) or a mixed bag of photos that are unrelated except that they’re bookish. Or you may want to post just one photo, it’s up to you. If you have a different type of blog, post photos of whatever you think is suitable.
2. Create a post of your photos.
3. Don’t forget! Also link in your post to another participant’s WG photo post. Weekly Geeks is a community thing, remember! If you’re one of the first finished, of course, you may have to add your link later. See if you can find someone you don’t normally read to link to.
4. Once your post is up, come back and leave a link to that specific post (not just your regular blog url) in the Mr Linky at the bottom of this post.

Note: On June 28th, there will be no regular Weekly Geeks because the
Read-a-thon will be held that day, and unfortunately, I’m not made out of magic, so I won’t be able to do both in the same day. I thought about trying, so that I could be sneaky and try to get the Read-a-thon participants interested in WG and the WG participants interested in the Read-a-thon, but I decided that was insane thinking and I should stop it right away. I also thought the people who already participate in both (who are also unfortunately not made out of magic) would send ninja assassins after me. If you want an activity you can consider your WG theme that Saturday, it’d be great if you’d go around and visit as many of the Readers as possible and encourage them.

Okay, first the Readathon. I can’t do it. I had that conversation in my head with my husband:
“Honey, will you take care of Patrick while I read all day on Saturday and blog about it?”
Husband:
“ … ”
Yeah, there’s no way to sell that one. So I’ll be with the readers in spirit, and posting random comments hopefully, if I remember.

Anyway. Weekly Geeks 7. Post photos.
Right. I’m the worst photographer in the entire world. And I thought “what the heck am I going to take pictures of?” But then it came to me while I was watching Star Trek: Voyager this morning.
Cats. We have cats. Actually, we have 10 cats, and I won’t be posting pictures of them all. If you would like to see all of our cats, they’re in this post here:
http://justaddbooks.blogspot.com/2008/02/booking-through-thursday.html

The ones I’m posting photos of today are the ones that impact my reading time the most.
This is Piper (black and white) and Chloe on the couch; which is also where I do a lot of my reading.
They're lap cats. In fact, they think I'm furniture. So if I'm sitting on the couch reading, then I have at least one of them looking for a home. And it's tricky to read with a cat trying to settle on your lap. You can do it _ mostly _ once they are settled, but while they're still poking you into place ... no.
I read on the couch because I work 4-12 mostly, so I read after work, and the couch is the easiest (and warmest) place to do it.


This is the other place I read; bed. The cat who looks like she's been into the 'nip but was really just surprised by the flash is Scout:

I get up in the morning for our son, Patrick because my husband works worse hours than I do and often doesn't get home until well after 9 in the morning. So when Patrick goes back to bed, so do I. I read, I doze. Scout _ who has anxiety issues _ mostly lives in our bedroom so if I'm reading in bed, she's bugging me for pats. She'll hook my hand with her paw so she can headbutt it if she thinks I'm not paying her enough attention.


Next (if you've got this far) is Merlin:

He's not a lap cat as such, but for some reason if I'm in bed reading in the morning, he'll often come and sleep on my legs then. I'd love to know what he's thinking ....






Pictures of some of my bookcases:
<
We have built-in shelves in the living room. We rented this house sight unseen eight years ago when we moved from Auckland to here. How perfect is that???
Last, but not least; you should visit
She's got some funky photos up.
Happy Weekly Geeks _ live long and prosper, as the man says. :)

15 comments:

Ana S. said...

10 cats! That is so awesome. I "only" have 4. I'm thinking of going with pictures of mine too, possibly surrounded by books. One of mine looks a lot like your Merlin :) They're all beautiful, thanks for sharing the pictures. I never tire of looking at cats. Or bookshelves.

Alessandra said...

Thank you for linking to my post!

maggie moran said...

Patrick must think Misty a formable friend. That cat is huge!

I'm a one cat at a time since hubby is allergic. :)

Harry Markov said...

Hey kitties! Nice photoes! I linked them up in my post as well! You have nice angles.

Dewey said...

I love your kitties! I have only one because I'm allergic. I probably shouldn't even have her, but I can't even imagine a house feeling like a home without a cat in it.

Oh, and I'm sorry you can't participate in the readathon as a reader. Would you like to be a cheerleader? You'd only need at least one hour for that!

Maree said...

Nymeth: I loved your photos. That is one placid cat!
Alessandra: you're welcome :)
Maggie: I think the angle is slightly unflattering, although she's certainly of a ... stately size
Daydream: Thank you :) And thank you for being so nice about my photos; especially since yours are so beautifully done
Dewey: I can cheerlead. Probably not host a challenge; but I'll metaphorically get my pom poms out on the day (which will be Sunday here, of course.)

Shelley said...

Your reading spots look very cozy!

Harry Markov said...

Ah, thanks a lot! They are not that special mine. My hands were shaking and the poses are a bit lame, but thank you for the compliment!

Melody said...

Oh wow! You've a lot of bookshelves...and cats!!! ;) Enjoyed reading your post too!

tanabata said...

Lots of books. Lots of cats. What could be better? :)

Bybee said...

Your bookcases have got me sighing happily...

Maree said...

Books and cats. Apart from my husband and son, that's what keeps me going. :)

Darcie said...

You are lucky to have shelves - 1/2 of my reading is stacked in piles!! :) LOL!! I wanted to stop by and let you know that I have set up a site for the Read-a-thon cheerleaders at www.ReadCheer.blogspot.com Can you send me your email address to darciebrand [at] yahoo [dot] com and let me know if you are interested in hosting a mini-challenge. Looking forward to the big day!

Jackie (Literary Escapism) said...

Yeah, I think I had that same conversation with my husband about the readathon in my head. With a 15 month old, there's no way.

Love the bookshelves.

We only have one cat, and if we could find her at any given point in the day, then it's a good day. She's a little antisocial for a cat.

Maree said...

Darcie: So am I :)
Jackie: We had a cat like that for a while. He'd disappear for days at a time; we think he was living somewhere else half the time. He's back with us fulltime now, though.