Pages

Saturday, December 27, 2008

Not blogging, but reading


I love this photo. It's one of my favourites. Sigh ...

I've been lazy and uninspired to blog this week. I have, however, been reading. I finished Stranger in a Strange Land today, and also read The Uncommon Reader.
Lately I've also finished The Broken Window by Jeffrey Deaver, Embroidered Truths by Monica Ferris and made a decent dent in My Sister, My Love: The Intimate Story of Skyler Rampike by Joyce Carol Oates.

I enjoyed The Uncommon Reader the most. It's really short, and takes maybe 1-2 hours to read, but it's just lovely. It's on my list for the Dewey Reading challenge, so I'll either count it as an early read, or find something else to add to the list.


I did enjoy The Broken Window and all I can say right now about Stranger in a Strange Land is I'm glad it's finished. But maybe I just didn't grok its fullness.

We had a good Christmas. Noisy morning, with family and suchlike coming in to see Patrick and exchange presents and then a lovely quiet afternoon. I read/dozed on the couch while Jeremy made us roast chicken for dinner. I could have stayed there the rest of the afternoon but I had to go to work.

I had a weirdly serendipitous moment in a bookshop on Friday. I'd ducked out of work for a bit _ ostensibly to go to Starbucks but also to have a quick look in the bookshops across the road _ and in one of those bins of paperbacks, $6 each or four for $20, I spotted Requiem by Graham Joyce. And I'd blogged about him not so long ago.

So, of course, I couldn't just buy one book, I had to shuffle through the bin for three others. I got a book of short stories, called Phantasms, by Some Guy, a Ngaio Marsh mystery and a crossword-based mystery novel as well. I'd go look up titles and such, but they're all the way across the living room.

Then, on the way out of the store, I noticed they had copies of The Stand by Stephen King. The store _ Whitcoulls _ has a Top 100 list every year and The Stand was part of a display of those books. With 25% off fiction, I was tempted. But managed to resist ... until today, that is. I love The Stand, it's one of my all-time favourite books but I've never owned a copy.

Until now. Heh.

4 comments:

Ana S. said...

I really look forward to reading The Uncommon Reader. It's one of those U want to make sure I get to for the Dewey challenge.

Enjoy your new purchases. I plan on reading The Stand for the first time next year. Don't know what took me so long :P

Maree said...

Oooh, I hope you enjoy. It's a long book but a really easy read. :)

Anonymous said...

Aw, cute photo!

Gotta love those Whitcoulls bins. :) I rarely find anything I want but the few times I have are enough that I can't pass them without having a look. The crossword mystery sounds interesting.

Joanne ♦ The Book Zombie said...

Sounds like you had a lovely Holiday. Good catch with The Stand - I've had the same paperback copy for ages and it's falling to bits :)