Pages

Thursday, July 2, 2009

The Strain by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan



Warning: incoherent fangirling ahead. Sigh. But, what else is new?
Okay. The Strain.
Um. I really don't know what to say. It has vampires. And the CDC. And and and … evildoers. And do-gooders. And did I mention vampires?Okay. I'll attempt a plot synopsis.
A plane lands at JFK, and every person on board is dead, with no outward physical signs. The plane landed smoothly; it's not engine trouble, or sabotage.
Enter Dr Ephraim Goodweather, of the CDC, to determine what might have caused the event. And slowly, but surely, events completely unravel from there. Soon, Eph realises he's not dealing with a normal infection and his investigations lead him to Abraham Setrakian, an old man who has seen _ and battled _ this evil before.
It's good; and it's creepy; and it's scary. It feels entirely plausible, yet entirely fantastic at the same time, and I'm not sure how Mr del Toro and Mr Hogan have pulled that one off. I suspect the fantastic as come from del Toro and the plausible from Hogan, but it doesn't really matter because the book is so good. It's very well-written with believable and likable – and unlikable – characters.
Pick it up when you have some spare time, but don't read it after dark ….
9/10 – so good, you'd take it to meet your Mum.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've seen this book on quite a few blogs now. My library doesn't have it yet... I might have to break down and buy it!

Maree said...

I don't usually buy books either, but I had to have this one! :)

Ana S. said...

I so want to read this for RIP!

Maree said...

Oh ... it'd be perfect for that! I'm thinking of joining that one myself this year, since Carl's Once Upon a Time challenge is the only one I've actually finished ... ;)