Pages

Monday, August 11, 2008

Sourcery by Terry Pratchett

I'm working my way through the Discworld novels in the order that they have been published. I've just finished Sourcery and I'm looking forward to getting the next one.

The more I read of the Discworld, the more I like it. I enjoyed the first couple, then Pratchett really hit his stride, stretched his legs and went to town. Each one that I read becomes my new favourite, and now Sourcery occupies that territory.

Coin is the eighth son of an eighth son from a family of wizards. He's magic squared: a sourcerer. And when he arrives at the Unseen University in Ankh-Morpork, Things start to happen.

Mostly bad things. The wizards _ who had been used to a quiet existence, suddenly find their world turned upside down _ quite literally as Coin and his mysterious staff enter the university.

That most excellent _ and chronically cowardly wizard ( or ''wizzard'' as it says on his hat) Rincewind is right in the thick of this one and things start to go south pretty quickly once he meets up with Nijel, the would-be barbarian and Conina, daughter of actual barbarian, Cohen.

The more I read of Pratchett, the more I want to read. I'd be as happy as a cat in a mouse factory if I could spend a few months with nothing but the Discworld novels for company.


I was particularly pleased that the Librarian _ up until now just a support player _ took a more major role in things, as his beloved magic books were threatened.

Just plain funny. :)

No comments: