Pages

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Things and ... things ;p

I have random things colliding in my head, and since this is my space, I'm going to share them with the interwebz. ;p

I went to Rise of the Planet of the Apes last Thursday after work. It wasn't bad. Certainly no Planet of the Apes, circa Charlton Heston but it was better than the remake with Mark Wahlberg. (I'm sorry, Tim Burton, I love you. But Planet of the Apes was a mistake.)


Anyway, I went on my own about 4pm (was parolled from work early because of working overtime a couple of days before that) and there were hardly any people there. Just the way I like it - lol. Except when I want to be in a theatre full of people, like for Harry Potter. I love movies, and it's something I want to dig more into, if that makes sense. My backlog of unread Empire magazines would agree with me ;p

I managed to get through reading Order of the Phoenix - it's not my favourite Harry Potter  - it's too long, for one thing and it's a little ... indulgent? I mean, I understand that teenage boys can be angry but seriously OotP gives me a headache.

Anyway. Recently I also finished The Shattering by Karen Healey, which was fantastic. I'd do a review for it, because it's a Kiwi YA novel, and I still have my challenge in the back of my mind, but ... eh. I can't be arsed. It's really good, though. You should read it if you come across it. :D

I also read Elfland by Freda Warrington, which I loved. I randomly remembered, when I saw the book in the library, how much I loved The Court of the Midnight King, which is an alternate history/fantasy novel set during the reign of ... Richard II? III? Anyway, I loved it. Elfland was really good too, but I could have gone my whole life without ever seeing a penis described as a 'wand'.

I came home from work early yesterday, because I thought I was going to pass out at my desk. Somewhat embarrassingly, it was simply exhaustion: I went to bed, crashed for a few hours, and felt rather better. That'll teach me to think I can go to bed at midnight, get up at 7, work an 8 hour day and be there for Patrick at the end of it all ... I'm not Superwoman, who knew?

So when I got over what I call my Jane Austen vapours, I picked up A Game of Thrones. And. Like. Why didn't I know? I mean, I'm not even quarter of the way in but holy shit. Holy shit. I'm loving it. Loving loving loving it.

You know how every single fantasy novel ever gets compared to Lord of the Rings for no good reason? Like ... for me, Lord of the Rings is in a class all of its own. Yet, the comparisons happen over and over again and by now they're just ... tired. But. A Game of Thrones is the first fantasy novel I've read where the comparison is valid. And I'm so very late to the party.

All I want to do is lie down on my couch with a cat or seven and snacks in arm's reach and read. I love that feeling.

Randomness of the day: I checked my cellphone at lunchtime. (That's not the randomness, obviously.) I had a text from my brother and sister in law saying they had the share of  the money from the garage sale of Mum's things. I had no idea the garage sale had even been held. I'm fine with it; I got what I wanted of Mum's things before the funeral, so it's not that I'm upset about that. I'm  ... amused that I heard about it after the fact. And slightly surprised that my share was $200. Nice, no? And yes. This is how my family communicates. When we communicate - lol.

Work tomorrow, and lunch for a co-worker who's going on maternity leave. Then I'm going to Cowboys and Aliens. :D

... Wow. tl;dr I went to the new Apes movie and had a Jane Austen moment. Read some books, got a little money.

4 comments:

Erin (moviemuse) said...

Don't go to Cowboys and Aliens with high expectations. It's not awful, but it's not great. :-)

Marg said...

I have been kind of resisting reading Game of Thrones. Those books are so big!

Maree said...

Erin: I'm hoping to have fun. That's about as high as my expectations go - lol

Marg: I resisted them, too but it's fantastic

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.