Pages

Thursday, March 5, 2015

I'm sorry panko

So, Trish over at http://www.lovelaughterinsanity.com/ has a cookbook challenge, wherein you cook from your cookbooks like, once a month or something.

I went through the cookbooks that I do own, but they're by like ... chefs. I mean, I own a cookbook by Gordon Ramsey. It's nice to look at and all but I'm not auditioning for Masterchef or anything. So, accepting that EVERYTHING EVER in ALL the cookbooks I own is well above my skill level, I naturally turned to pinterest.

I searched chicken recipes that I had saved, that were more like .... do this thing and do that thing, and less .... okay first butcher your organic free range very posh chicken, then butterfly the legs and the wings and ... anyway. You get where I'm going with this.

So I found a recipe for panko-encrusted chicken drumsticks and went "I can make that." THEN I went, "But do I have to buy panko? Isn't that just fancy breadcrumbs for wankers?"

And. Well. Maybe. BUT. Panko is DELICIOUS. It is crunchy and textural and tasty and all good things. I drafted Jeremy to make chips, which he shallow-fried in a frypan and they were also crunchy and delicious.

The panko is full of seasonings like garlic and smoked paprika and parmesan so it's basically a flavour party for your mouth. I did have issues with the timing of the cooking, because I'm an idiot, so next time I'm going to make chicken tenders and use the same crumbing.

Recipe: http://www.thetwobiteclub.com/2014/06/oven-fried-panko-crusted-chicken.html?m=1

I'm on a mission now. A quest, if you like. It may or may not involve cookbooks - likely from the library, but it will certainly (probably) involve pinterest.

Also, chicken.

But probably not Gordon Ramsey. I love you Gordon Ramsey but ... yeah.

5 comments:

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Panko changed my life. Or at least my chicken cooking life. I always just used regular breadcrumbs but I will NEVER go back.

So, I know that the Cook it Up challenge is over, but the new one will be just as well for what you're doing here! Same thing...just more encompassing. ;) Thanks for playing along Maree.

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

OH... And if you're looking for another post idea, how about you share those chips. I've never made any but would love to. ;)

Maree said...

Trish, panko is SO GOOD, I had no idea. I want to coat everything in it.

The chips are super-easy - just slice potatoes into thin rounds and shallow fry in a frypan (skillet?) on the stovetop - J used a fair amount of oil - basically covered the bottom of the pan, but just drain them and pat them off when they're done and season. They are soooo good!

Anonymous said...

too funny! I love the simple recipes, myself. I make the husband-darling cook the fancy stuff.

Maree said...

Care!! <3 Lol good plan :)