Pages

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Booking Through Thursday

What’s your favorite book that nobody else has heard of? You know, not Little Women or Huckleberry Finn, not the latest best-seller . . . whether they’ve read them or not, everybody “knows” those books. I’m talking about the best book that, when you tell people that you love it, they go, “Huh? Never heard of it?”

Okay, this is a hard one for me! Because, apparently, I read mostly popular or populist authors. I had no idea. And it's late here, and I'm tired, so I'm sure the answer will come to me in a couple of days, by which time it'll be too late.
Or maybe I just assumre that people have heard of the same authors I have. I'm certainly always surprised when they haven't.
So um ... Gabriel Garcia Marquez is a favourite of mine. I've read One Hundred Years of Solitude three times now. And uhm .... Neil Gaiman. And let's see ... Peter F Hamilton, who writes wonderful, long, complicated science fiction. Other than that, I just sort of assume that people have heard of all the authors I have. Sad, but true.

7 comments:

gautami tripathy said...

i really can't get along with people who have not heard of marquez.

:D


"Huh?"

Judy said...

Actually... I've not heard of Hamilton. Does he write hard-core sci-fi? I guess I COULD Google him ;-)

Thanks for the heads-up!

Marianne Arkins said...

I've heard of them all but Peter F Hamilton.... I'll have to check him out!

Happy BTT and thanks for visiting earlier!

Maree said...

Yes, I'd say it was hard-core science fiction; epic space operas would also fit :)
Start with The Reality Dysfunction, the first book of the Night's Dawn trilogy. I haven't read books 2 or 3 yet, but I have read both books of the Commonwealth Saga; both over 1000 pages, but well worth it. :)

Julia said...

The only person I have heard of is One Hundred Years of Solitude. I haven't gotten the copy but friends recommends me the book. The rest of the books you listed, nope - never heard of them :) I should go check them out :)

Happy BTTs - Have a good Thursday and good weekend ahead!

Julia - Yen

J.C. Montgomery said...

Who in the world can pass up a book with the title The Reality Dysfunction. You sure its Science Fiction? Sounds more like my last family reunion.

On to Amazon to look this one up...I must take a look. Thanks!

Maree said...

All this talk ... I'm off to get it from my bookcase now!