Pages

Friday, January 18, 2008

Rebecca

I finished this last night; one down, 11 classics to go! Next up is Sense and Sensibility, for February.
I loved Rebecca. LOVED it. du Maurier's descriptions were so vivid I felt as though I had gone to Manderley. I think her descriptions of the physical landscape were, in some ways, better than her drawings of the characters. Our unnamed main character is wispy, and dominated by the larger-than-life spirit of Rebecca. It's not really until near the end of the book, when she finally knows the truth, that she comes into her own. It's almost as if the little deceptions and misunderstandings weigh her down, without her even knowing it.
Now I want to watch the movie again ...

Also reviewed here:
http://subliminalintervention.blogspot.com/2009/01/what-im-reading-now-rebecca.html

No comments: