Pages

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Mongoose!



















I mean, there's my pile for the Once Upon a Time III challenge. There are 27 books and here are the titles:

Acacia by David Anthony Durham
The Ladies of Grace Adieu by Susannah Clarke
Smoke & Mirrors by Neil Gaiman
The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor
The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness
A Curse Dark as Gold by Elizabeth C Bunce
Dreamhunter by Elizabeth Knox
Dreamquake by Elizabeth Knox
Inkheart by Cornelia Funke
Inkspell by Cornelia Funke
Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones
The Dark is Rising Sequence by Susan Cooper
Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett
The Stress of Her Regard by Tim Powers
Someplace to be Flying by Charles de Lint
Yarrow by Charles de Lint
Stormwarden by Janny Wurts
The Keeper of the Keys by Janny Wurts
Shadowfane by Janny Wurts
The Halfmen of O by Maurice Gee
The Priests of Ferris by Maurice Gee
The Motherstone by Maurice Gee
Under the Mountain by Maurice Gee


I won't be reading all of them obviously. I'm already reading Wyrd Sisters, so I'm off to a flying start. I'm doing Quest the First, which is five books. Almost-one down, four out of 27 to go.

Oh! And I decided to do the Short Story Weekend, hence the inclusion of The Ladies of Grace Adieu, and Smoke & Mirrors.

Wish me ... something.

13 comments:

Carl V. Anderson said...

Ladies of Grace Adieu and Smoke and Mirrors will be perfect for short story weekends. Absolutely perfect! I'll be rereading some or all of Ladies during this challenge (this will be the third time I believe. Love that book) and probably will listen to or read some Gaiman short stories as well. Wouldn't be the same for me without him.

Maree said...

Carl, I got it on special last year for about $5, and I haven't read it yet. I'm looking forward to great things. :)

DesLily said...

Ohhh if you like books about people who love books you will love the Inkheart books!!

Anonymous said...

Oooh! You've got Knox on that list! (Granted, books by her which I haven't yet read, but even so.)

I'll be looking forward to seeing which books you pick for the challenge! And DesLily is right. If you love books about book lovers, you'll enjoy Inkheart. ^-^

Happy reading!

Ana S. said...

yay Wyrd Sisters! Love you list.

Memory said...

The Ladies of Grace Adieu is just lovely. If you're at all into audiobooks, I also recommend the audio version. Susanna Clarke's stories read aloud very, very well.

Maree said...

DesLily: Thanks! My husband has read them, and thinks I should start there.
librtouches: I've read Dreamhunter, but not Dreamquake. Perfect challenge for both of them :)
Nymeth: I'm most of the way through it now, so off to a good start!
Memory: I've never tried audiobooks, but I'm certainly not averse to the idea _ especially a well-read one. :)

Gavin said...

Ooh, I so want to join this challenge. Ooh, ooh, ooh.

darkorpheus said...

Oh yeah Wyrd Sisters. Way to kick off the challenge!

Jodie said...

Wow your pile is big!!! Some great ideas in there - recommend Wyrd Sisters, I must have read that about twenty times growing up.

Oh and I'm ready to discuss for the mini challenge now - finished the play yesterday. Just let me know how you want to structure the joint post.

Robin said...

What a great [big] list!! You are a person that is never bored, I can tell. Enjoy your reading, and I look forward to your reviews.

Maree said...

Gaving: go on .... you know you want to ....
Dark Orpheus: thanks _ I finished it yesterday :)
Jodie: I'm on my way to work, email me and we can discuss it. I won't get my book finished, but I've read enough of it for our discussion.
Robin: it is true, I am very seldome bored. :)

Cath said...

I really enjoyed your two short story choices - The Ladies of Grace Adieu and Smoke and Mirrors. Some of the stories were better than others of course but in the main they're two excellent collections. Look forward to your impressions if you read those.