Pages

Saturday, March 29, 2014

Once Upon a Time VIII

I'm slightly late to the Once Upon a Time challenge, but here we are, finally. :-) Carl at http://www.stainlesssteeldroppings.com hosts this challenge every year and it's all about having fun, escaping and reading fantasy, folklore and all good things really.

Here's this year's post explaining everything: http://www.stainlesssteeldroppings.com/once-upon-a-time-viii - Carl's much better at explaining this stuff than I am.

For myself, I'm taking on Quest the First, which is "Read at least 5 books that fit somewhere within the Once Upon a Time categories. They might all be fantasy, or folklore, or fairy tales, or mythology…or your five books might be a combination from the four genres."



It took me a bit, but here are my five books. They are: Victory of Eagles by Naomi
Novik, the fifth book in her Temeraire series, a kind of alternate history of the Napoleonic Wars, with dragons. Next, is Here be Dragons by Marie Brennan, which I know nothing about, but sounds very interesting. Then there's The Snow Child by Eowyn Levy, which is based on the old fairytale. Fourth is  Some Kind of Fairytale by Grahame Joyce and last but not least, The Land of Stories: The Wishing Spell, by Chris Colfer.

I also want to do Quest on Screen: "Stories are not just limited to the printed page. Many entertaining, moving, profound or simply fun stories are told in the realm of television and film. To participate in this quest simply let us know about the films and/or television shows that you feel fit into the definitions of fantasy, fairy tales, folklore or mythology that you are enjoying during the challenge."

I'm not sure how yet - I kind of want to do a LOTR re-watch maybe, and also watch/rewatch other fantasy movies from my childhood, like The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth. I'll think about it. :-)

3 comments:

Marg said...

I must get back to the Naomi Novik books. I think I have lost track of the series a bit.

Maree said...

I keep drifting away and coming back to it. :-)

Kailana said...

Good luck with the challenge! I hope you read lots of great books!