Pages

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Weekly Geeks




Topic here:
Oh, and sorry. Couple of swears ahead...
Okay, songs never remind me of book titles, so I've done this a little differently, borrowing somewhat from http://eclectcentric.blogspot.com/2009/08/weekly-geeks-book-theme-song.html
However, what I did was this: I put my iTunes on shuffle, and stopped when a song made me think of a book. I'm aiming for 10. Let's see.
1) I Am the Highway by Audioslave (links only, sorry; I have no idea how to put YouTube videos on here):
Which made me think of American Gods, by Neil Gaiman. They're both ... road-trippy in a way.
2) Why Does Love do This To Me? by The Exponents, which was, like, my soundtrack when I was at university (or jam? What do the kids say these days? I'm going to stick with soundtrack):
Hmmm ... not one specific book. Let me direct you to this post, though:
3) The Show Must Go On by Queen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRE0slFf4Zg&feature=related made me think of Slash's autobiography. Rock n Roll, right?
4) Bar-Ba-Sol by David Cook:
Two books tied for this song: Soldier in the Mist by Gene Wolfe, because both the book and the song are epic, and Breaking Dawn because IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN EPIC AND WASN'T
6) I Want to Come Over by Melissa Etheridge
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UjWpHgbXVs&feature=fvst
Made me think of The Passion, by Jeanette Winterson. And no, I haven't started on any of my Gilbert! books yet. Um. Moving on.
7) Whatever by The Butthole Surfers (there's Bad Language, but it's one of my favourite songs)
Smoke and Mirrors by Neil Freaking Gaiman. They're both weirdly .... dreamlike
8) You Belong to Me by Tori Amos. From the Mona Lisa soundtrack:
Murder on the Nile by Agatha Christie. Cos :)
9) Set it Off by Audioslave (second appearnce, I know):
The Stand by Stephen King. Because the line "Set this fucker off" fits the book. Heh.
10) Ring of Fire by Adam Lambert (What? Yes, I'm still a fangirl. Shut up.):
The Heretic Queen by Michelle Moran. Um. Yeah. It's late here.
But yay, look! Ten!
Happy Weekly Geeks everyone :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's a long list. And I could only come up with a poem. *embarrassed*

I've only heard/read a couple of the above, but kudos!

Ana S. said...

American Gods always makes me think of Tori Amos' Scarlett's Walk (and the other way around, too). I guess the reason is exactly that they're both road trip-y.

Trisha said...

You are so right about American Gods being "road-trippy". Right when I read that line, I thought of Tom Petty's Running Down a Dream and Red Hot Chili Peppers Road Trippin'. The connections just keep coming! :)

Maree said...

anothercookiecrumbles: I thought yours was great :)
Nymeth: I don't know that song _ I'll have to go looking for it
Trisha: I Am the Highway came up on my shuffle first. Otherwise I probably would have used Road Trippin' :)

Kristen said...

You did better than me, I had trouble getting my one :o)

Amat Libris said...

I'm impressed - ten! I found it easier than I at first thought it would be but couldn't have come up with that many!

Anonymous said...

I love Audioslave. Chris Cornell rules! :) Great choices all around, though. Best one, in my opinion, your first one because I can see that one best with American God. Plus I love the song. I might also think of Stephen King's The Stand, although in that case, I can think of a couple of songs that actually were written about the book: The Stand by The Alarm and Among the Living by Anthrax.