Pages

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Weekly Geeks




The theme, Geekers, is here as always:
Oh. Sigh ... the 'mean to reads'. I have so many of them, that I've forgotten most of them.
Generally speaking, I'll say something like "Oh, I've been meaning to read that," and then totally forget what the book was.
I started this blog at the end of 2007 with the lofty intention of reading one (1) classic novel a month for a year - and many of those were mean-to-reads. I made it to seven, which wasn't bad.
This year ... I've read two. How do you say ... epic fail. Yeah. But all of the unread books on that list are on my mean-to list. My shiny optimistic post about that is here:
The one book on that list I'd really like to read is A Suitable Boy, by Vikram Seth. I've had that book for years and I've never read it. The other 'mean to reads' I have on my mental list are some Graham Greene - I read three of his books back at uni - The Power and the Glory, The Heart of the Matter, and The Honorary Consul, all of which I really enjoyed. So I go past A Suitable Boy, and my Graham Greenes and I think "I really must read those ..." and then I spot the piles of books overflowing nearly every surface in my room. And really, most of them are 'mean-to-reads.'
As for why I haven't read them ... I don't know. Sigh.
I'll be under my bed, hiding from the judgemental books.
Happy Weekly Geeks!

15 comments:

Unknown said...

I haven't read A Suitable Boy either. I even own a copy - I really should get round to it one day.

Unknown said...

I sooo know what you mean. There's just too many books out there.
Vikram Seth's Suitable Boy as well as Vikram Chandra's Sacred Games on my shelves and since I bought them, I have been meaning to read them.

rhapsodyinbooks said...

Yes, hiding under the bed! I can relate to that!

gautami tripathy said...

I read A suitable Boy when it was published. Got to re-read it!

Weekly Geeks: Why haven't I read it yet?

Kill Word Verification

Kim said...

Simply too many books and not enough reading time! I only listed one in my post, but the list could have gone on and on!
Happy reading, from under your bed.(I think I have books under my bed!)
*smiles*
Kim

Anonymous said...

Can't you feel them staring at you...even from under the bed? ;-)

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Love your kitty pictures.

Frances said...

Graham Greene is a personal favorite of mine so I envy you those first reads. Always feels as if he knows secrets of things most of us never even imagine.

pussreboots said...

My two favorite Greene novels are Our Man in Havana and Monsignor Quixote. My post is here.

Anonymous said...

A suitable boy is fantastic. One of my favourite books.

Unknown said...

Well, you've read Greene, go for the Seth! I must try him too.

Kerrie said...

I don't feel as if I am whittling the numbers of books-in-waiting down either. In fact I think TBR is growing

Kristen said...

I keep hearing the name Vikram Seth - I must check him out

Marg said...

My TBR list is definitely ever growing! Good thing I am amongst friends.

Anonymous said...

I never get a chance to read as many classics as I'd like to either. You're not alone!