Pages

Saturday, February 23, 2008

February classic: Sense and Sensibility

Two down, ten to go. This is kind of fun! I'm considering starting next month's book _ The Old Curiousity Shop _ early because it's so big and I'm not sure I'll get it read in a month.

Anyway.

I have to admit, I didn't enjoy this Austen as much as others of hers I've read. There was something exhausting and enervating about it, all at once. The push-pull between the different natures of Elinor and Marianne, the fact that there aren't really any particularly likeable characters; even Colonel Brandon comes across as a bit passive, and of the lot of them, I think I liked him the best.
On the other hand, I really loved the movie. It excised the worst excesses of each character, and trimmed the story to its essence.

So I don't think I'll be re-reading it any time soon, but I may watch the movie again.

On to The Old Curiosity Shop :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

S&S is one of my favourites but I thought it was kinda drawn out - especially when we all know how it's going to end!