Pages

Friday, April 3, 2009

The case of the disappearing mojo


Sigh. This is the sight that greeted me when I innocently turned around this morning.
I'm really not sure about this whole "climbing" thing. Seriously. He likes to bodysurf the coffee table as well, which is very cute, but we're trying (and trying) to discourage it.
Anyhoo, that's not the point of this post. Remember when I celebrated getting my reading mojo back? Yeah. Spoke too soon.
Oh, I'm reading. But I'm reading Agatha Christie again. Which I usually only do occasionally, as an in-between fix while I figure out what to pick up next. But this will be the ... third? Agatha Christie novel I've finished this year.
Not.Good. I did just finish The Adoration of Jenna Fox, which is very well-written, and a very, very moving treatise on just what it is that makes us human _ what are the connections that truly hold us together? Our souls? Other people?
Very, very good. But not enough to pull me out of the slump. Reflecting on Wyrd Sisters, I think Mr Sir Terry Pratchett got me to the top of the cliff, but I'm still hanging on by my fingernails.
I also finished a novel called The Roar of the Butterflies, by Reginald Hill. Kind of a cosy mystery, centred on PI Joe Sixsmith, who works out of Luton. Lots of pubs, and posh golfers and no-nonsense women. Pretty good, you know.
So. Other reading bloggers. What would spark your imagination. What makes you read, and read into the wee small hours? That's really what I'm looking for _ that breathless, headlong reading experience, where the rest of the world just ... disappears.
What's good out there?

10 comments:

Jodie said...

Everyone's raving about The Other Hand by Chris Cleve (and so is my mum now). The 'we don't want to tell you about this book' blurb is pretty good marketing as well.

If you like YA I recommend Dooley Takes the Fall by Norah McClintock - I needed sleep but I just couldn't stop.

Or how about the unholy mix of Pratchett/Gaiman 'Good Omens' which can only be described as wicked awesome.

Finally The Visible World by Mark Slouka is pretty amazing.

Maree said...

Thanks for the suggestions.
I have read Good Omens and I concur - it IS wicked awesome.
I'll look the others up :)

Anonymous said...

Maybe, since Pratchett seems to have helped already, something else of his hand would work too? Just a thought.

Personally the only book I can remember devouring is The Vintner's Luck, but it's not going to be for everyone. (Not that any book ever is, but you know.) Recommendations are hard, more so when you're trying to spark the imagination of a person you don't know terribly well.

Maybe a short story collection would be an idea as well if you've any on your TBR list. Those help me anyhow. Whenever I start reading a good story collection I have to make myself put it down. The fact that the stories are short gives me that sense of fulfillment of finishing a lot faster and more often than an actual book and that often jumpstarts more.

Not a whole lot of suggestions in that, but I hope it helps!

Maree said...

Lou: sometimes life gets in the way; don't worry about it. Good luck with your thesis :)
libritouches: I read The Vintner's Luck last year, and absolutely loved it. Short stories is a good idea, though. Thanks :)

Cath said...

Well, the books I found to be unputdownable this year were, In the Woods by Tana French, Remember Me? by Sophie Kinsella, The Reaper by Peter Lovesey and the first two Mercy Thompson books by Patricia Briggs. Bit of a mixed bag really but all excellent. Hope your reading slump soon passes.

Staci said...

First off..I love your little tabletop surfer!!

It's hard to say what book will make me read into the wee hours of the morning. My tastes are all over the place.

Robin said...

I've had the best luck with getting myself back into my reading mojo by picking up a children's book and just enjoying it instead of searching and searching for the perfect read. I think it's especially hard to find the "right" book after you finish one you absolutely love. Good luck!

Sherrie said...

Hi!
Didn't see anywhere to comment on the Mini Catch-Up Challenge. I have finished one of my books for this. "Until You" by Bertrice Small. It is for the Romance Reading Challenge. Here is where you can see my review. http://sherriesbooks.blogspot.com/2009/04/until-you.html Have a great day!!

Sherrie

Maree said...

Thanks everyone :)
I think I think too much.
Sherrie, sorry about that. But you're doing better than me so well done!

Ana S. said...

Sorry Maree :( I hope you get your mojo back. My suggestion would be to read even more Sir Terry :P

Last week I read Fingersmith by Sarah Waters and it took my breath away like few books do. So if you haven't read it, I'd suggest that also.