Pages

Monday, April 20, 2009

The Reading Week







The Reading Week
What are you reading on Monday? Is a question asked every week here:
http://j-kaye-book-blog.blogspot.com/
Wow, the readathon was something else, wasn't it? Fun, I think, tinged with a little bit of sadness. For the readathon I managed to get through Under the Mountain, by Maurice Gee, and The Hobbit by J R R Tolkien.
Under the Mountain is a very short YA science fiction novel about 11-year-old twins Theo and Rachel Matheson, who find out that they are the key to defeating a terrible, alien evil that's about to awaken and destroy the world. Their ally is Mr Jones, another alien, who has been striving against the evil aliens, The Wilberforces (yes, really) for centuries. It's a bit of a Kiwi classic, and a good, short read.
There was a TV series made when I was but a little reader, and the movie is now in production.
The Hobbit, of course, needs no introduction, and is just as magical now as it was the first time I read it at about age 12.
Apart from that, I still have Soldier in the Mist by Gene Wolfe on the go. I was reading Fernleaf Cairo as well, but will most likely set it aside for now, although I do plan to finish it. So I'm thinking of picking up one of my other would-be readathon reads. Howl's Moving Castle, maybe.
The good news is, I'm on track for finishing a challenge! With Under the Mountain and The Hobbit read, I think that makes … four? Books that qualify for Once Upon a Time III, with City of Bones and The Adoration of Jenna Fox. One more, and I will have finished my first challenge.
How's everyone else's week going? Sleep well?

If you click on the pic, you'll be able to read it. Just a little silliness for Monday. :)

8 comments:

Mary (Bookfan) said...

Congrats on participating in the read-a-thon! I read many posts of participants and enjoyed keeping up with you all. Your cartoon made me laugh :)

Maree said...

Thanks! Happy reading week :)

Jess said...

Congrats on the read-a-thon! It sounds like you had a great time!

Anonymous said...

I had to laugh at the little sketches of this weekend. Too funny! I didn't join in the madness. No doubt I should have. Pat yourself on the back. You did good!

Ana S. said...

lol! I love the comic :D

Staci said...

I had a really good reading week ! Looks like you have too! Glad you had fun at the RAT...me too!!

Eva said...

Fun little read-a-thon cartoon! :) hehe

I slept ALL of Sunday, but if I had been awake, I'm sure I wouldn't have wanted to look at a book!

Joanne ♦ The Book Zombie said...

"The Hobbit, of course, needs no introduction"Actually, I've never read The Hobbit and I have no idea what it's really about. *sigh* I feel slightly shamed to admit that. Someday, though, someday :P