Pages

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Short reviews



Short, because the books are backing up a little. How, may you ask, can you have read three books in the past week, yet claim to have lost your mojo?

I have no idea. But that's the way it works.

Let's get started, shall we?

First: The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E Pearson

Jenna wakes from a coma with no memory of her life before. Something, however, is not right. She's recovering incredibly fast, and her grandmother seems to hate her. The family lives in an isolated area, and it's not long before Jenna suspects that it's because of her.

The Adoration of Jenna Fox is a short novel, but it certainly packs a wallop. The central theme, or question of the novel is: what truly makes us human? Jenna discovers that, after much sneaking around and surgical hijinks on the part of her parents (the novel is set in a slightly scary future and Jenna's father develops an even more scary bio-gel) there's only 10 percent of her original brain left. Which leaves Jenna with a deeply fundamental question: Who am I?

It's a very thoughtful, and thought-provoking read, although I thought it ended slightly on a down note.

Next: The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie

The first adventure featuring Hercule Poirot, and where we meet his sometimes-Watson, Captain Hastings. Poirot is a Belgian refugee in an English village, while Hastings is staying at the manor house. Where, of course, there are Currents. This being an early novel, it's very easy to see where Christie's themes _ secrets, seemingly impossible mysteries and yes, even some social commentary _ started. As she goes on, she hits her stride more and more, but it's always fun to go back to the early days.

Lastly: Remember Me? by Sophie Kinsella

Iactually finished this in a couple of days; it was a pretty quick read. And, I have to say, I enjoyed it more than Kinsella's Shopaholic series. Lexi Smart wakes up in hospital, with no memory of the past three years. She thinks she's a loser, with a loser boyfriend (whose nickname is actually Loser Dave) and a crappy job.

However, when Lexi wakes up, she finds out that she's a driven career woman with a movie-star handsome husband and now she's the boss.

It's fairly light-hearted, and a pretty fast read.

Kittens and rainbows. :)

5 comments:

Joanne ♦ The Book Zombie said...

Adoration really makes you wonder what you would do if you were in the parent's position. I thought the theme of the story was fascinating!

Remember Me sounds like a good beach read. I really wasn't into her shopaholic series - I tried the first two but they just seemed so blah.

Love the short reviews, they're the perfect taste of what the books are like!

Dot said...

I read Remember Me? recently, it's a good, quick read isn't it? I have never really got on with the Shopaholic series either!

Ana S. said...

I really really really want to read Jenna Fox. Though you're not the first to say that the ending could have been better.

Maree said...

Joanne: I asked myself that while I was reading it, and I still don't have the answer.
Remember Me? would be a great beach read :)
Dot: It's a very quick, enjoyable read.
Nymeth: I think you'd really enjoy Jenna Fox. :)

Cath said...

I read Remember Me? recently too and really enjoyed it. Kinsella is a page turning kind of author, imo. Good for when you want an undemanding kind of read. I have her 'Can You Keep a Secret?' on my library pile now.