Pages

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Wednesday Wants!!!!!


ZOMG! Have you ever had this happen? You read a couple of books by an author that you really, really like, then totally forget all about it until you stumble across him being mentioned on another blog?

That happened to me!

I was reading Fantasy Book Critic, this post about a new release:
http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com/2008/11/memoirs-of-master-forger-by-william.html, called Memoirs of a Master Forger by William Heaney. Only ... William Heaney is the narrator of the book, and the author is Graham Joyce, who writes short, punchy, spooky novels. I've read three _ Dreamside, Dark Sister and Requiem, which is just ... fantastic. (Note to self: re-read Requiem).

I clicked through to his blog, and he is really, really, really funny to read. So that's my No 1 Want! of the moment. Wait. No 2 want, after the Stephen King book.

Also on the list this week is Mistress of the Art of Death, a medieval mystery that I stumbled across on Lynda's Book Blog
http://lyndasbookblog.blogspot.com/2008/11/weekly-geek-151108.htmlduring the course of the latest Weekly Geeks.

And last, but not least, once again from Fantasy Book Critic: The Drowned Life, a short story collection by Jeffrey Ford that sounds fascinating. I've never read any of his works but from the sounds of things, this is a pretty good place to start.
http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com/2008/11/drowned-life-by-jeffrey-ford-reviewed.html

Too many wants spoil the reader, so I think that'll do for this week. :)

4 comments:

Ana S. said...

The Jeffrey Ford collection does sound great. He's an author I've been meaning to check out for a while too.

Joanne ♦ The Book Zombie said...

I read Requiem, Dreamside and Tooth Fairy by Joyce - fantastic author!

I'm having a hard go at Just After Sunset, I don't know what it is, maybe my expectations were too high. It's got some great stories but some really stink *sigh* I think I will re-read it and see if maybe it was my mood.

The Drowned Life looks awesome too :)

Maree said...

A friend of mine has read the collection, and she wasn't impressed. I still want to read it, but I might just get it out of the library ...

Joanne ♦ The Book Zombie said...

Oh yes, definitely read it for the good stories. And an added plus is that it contains the story The Cat From Hell, which was originally a short film from Tales From The Darkside: The Movie.

I think part of my problem is that I've been craving another collection since Everything's Eventual which I loved.