Pages

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Making progress

So I started The Vintner's Luck a couple of nights ago and, of course, because it's due back at the library tomorrow, I haven't been able to pick it up since. But I really want to finish it, mostly because Elizabeth Knox uses similes like this: "Breath stood at each soldier's lips like a phantom sunning itself on the threshold of a tomb" which gave me the shivers.

The Vintner's Luck is about a 19th-century French winemaker, Sobran, who meets an angel Xas one night. Man and angel agree to meet once a year and eventually fall in love (so says the synopsis _ I haven't made it to that part yet.) So far so good.

One of the reasons I haven't had much reading time is the books cupboard at work. I work at a newspaper, as you know, and we regularly get review copies in. The guy who was taking care of them is leaving (one of the ones cast out in the redundancy round, but he's ready to retire anyway, and is happy about going) so one of my workmates and I volunteered ourselves to take care of the books (heh).

So I've had a couple of extra-late nights this week as we sort through the cupboard, weeding out those books that are too old to review, too obscure to be interesting and generally having a bit of a spring clean. But ... I get to play with books! (Heh).

I promised myself as part of the Weekly Geeks that I'd update my other blog too. So I'm going to do that now. :)

No comments: