Pages

Saturday, May 3, 2008

April's classic: Lolita

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

April’s classic novel. And a very interesting read.
I can’t say I “enjoyed” Lolita. I savoured the writing; I was seduced by the writing but at the same time … the content is so appalling!
I think the genius with Lolita is how Nabokov manages to seduce with his words, even though the storyline _ about a middle-aged pederast taking advantage of a pre-pubescent girl and going on the road trip from hell through a very seedy America _ is sickening, to say the least.

There are layers and layers and layers within Lolita; some of which you just don't want to peel back.
I feel as though I have a lot more in my head about Lolita, but none of it seems to be coming out right _ possibly because I have a head cold; or possibly because there’s not really much insight I can add to a book like this.
Let me just say: while I think it was one of my best reads of the year so far, I won’t be in any hurry to repeat the process.

No comments: