Pages

Thursday, May 1, 2008

Booking Through Thursday

Quick! It’s an emergency! You just got an urgent call about a family emergency and had to rush to the airport with barely time to grab your wallet and your passport. But now, you’re stuck at the airport with nothing to read. What do you do??
And, no, you did NOT have time to grab your bookbag, or the book next to your bed. You were . . . grocery shopping when you got the call and have nothing with you but your wallet and your passport (which you fortuitously brought with you in case they asked for ID in the ethnic food aisle). This is hypothetical, remember….
Oddly enough, I carry my passport in my bag. For no good reason.
Um _ if it were a big family crisis, I wouldn't be thinking about books. I'd be getting to the airport as fast as possible and ear-bashing ticket staff like the people on the Amazing Race until I got what I wanted.
However, if I was going to be stuck in the airport for a while, I'd probably people-watch, if it were a small airport, or search out the nearest airport bookstore, and buy a magazine, or something light to keep me occupied.
Or I'd compulsively shuffle through all the songs on my iPod while people-watching and flicking through a magazine.
But ... yeah. I wouldn't be thinking about books.

7 comments:

gautami tripathy said...

Who thinks of reading in such situations? Not me!

Here is my BTT post!

trish said...

I guess you're right...reading would probably be the last thing on my mind. People watching is always a good standby...there never seems to be a shortage of weird/bizarre/unique!

Donna said...

Sometimes the people watching at the airport can bring it's own worries. Have you ever seen someone really strange and started to hope he/she wasn't going to be on your flight? I get especially freaked out by the people pacing and talking to themselves. I seem to see one on every flight!

Donna
http://awty.bloglines.com

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't be thinking about books either, I'd be stressing. I probably wouldn't be able to concentrate on reading even if I did have one with me.

Maree said...

Between the family crisis and having to get on a plane ... I'd be no good to anyone, I don't think.

Anonymous said...

It's magazines and comics for me, too.

Paula Weston said...

Excellent point about where your head would be at.